Altrincham History Society
The Society and Its AimsWhat do you know about the history of your area?
Want to learn more?
Altrincham History Society exists to further the study of the Altrincham area and to enable such research to be communicated to the public.
Members enjoy a series of talks through the year, with occasional visits, and are encouraged to become active in researching topics related to the history of the area.
The Society publishes the results of research in booklets and a yearly journal. An index to the Society's Publications is available to Download.
Altrincham today is very much a modern town, with recent developments involving many changes but, beneath the streets and behind the buildings, there is a story to be told.
To join, please complete the Membership Form (.pdf)
The Society's Data Protection Policy may be viewed and downloaded here in MS Word format.
Programme for 2023/24
Altrincham History Society meets monthly from September to May, on the second Tuesday of the month, starting at 7.30pm.
Meetings are currently held at Altrincham Town Hall, Market Street, Altrincham WA14 1PG (pictured below) in the Old Council Chamber, on the first floor (lift available). A map showing the location is below...
Please note - the venue may have to change from January 2024 onwards.
- 12 Sept 2023: Geoff Scargill, The Secret Heart of Manchester.
- 10 Oct 2023: Neil Sheldon, Alan Turing: his life and legacy.
- 14 Nov 2023: Dave Walmsley, Domesday Book.
- 12 Dec 2023: Christmas Meeting.
- 8 Jan 2024: Keith Warrender, Whispers from The Willows.
- 13 Feb 2024: Judy Popley, A Prospect of Arley.
- 12 March 2024: Frank Vigon, Wendy Hillier: there is nothing like a Dame.
- 9 April 2024: Tony Bostock, Vale Royal Abbey.
- 14 May 2024: AGM for 2023-24, and Members' Research.
Newsletters (in .pdf format)
- Newsletter, no.1, April 2020
- Newsletter, no.2, May 2020
- Newsletter, no.3, July 2020
- Newsletter, no.4, September 2020
- Newsletter, no.5, October/November 2020
- Newsletter, no.6, December 2020
- Newsletter, no.7, Christmas 2020
- Newsletter, no.8, January 2021
- Newsletter, no.9, February 2021
- Newsletter, no.10, March 2021
- Newsletter, no.11, April 2021
- Newsletter, no.12, May 2021
- Newsletter, no.13, June 2021
- Newsletter, no.14, July 2021
- Newsletter, no.15, August 2021
- Newsletter, no.16, October 2021
- Newsletter, no.17, November 2021
- Newsletter, no.18, December 2021
- Photo Quiz Extra, December 2021
- Newsletter, no.19, January 2022
- Newsletter, no.20, February 2022
- Newsletter, no.21, May 2022
- Newsletter, no.22, June 2022
- Newsletter, no.23, July 2022
- Newsletter, no.24, Sept 2022
- Newsletter, no.25, Nov 2022
- Newsletter, no.26, Dec 2022
- Newsletter, no.27, Feb 2023
- Newsletter, no.28, Mar 2023
- Newsletter, no.29, June 2023
- Newsletter, no.30, Aug 2023
ContactIf you would like more information about the Society or its meetings, please contact:
- The Secretary, by e-mail
- The Chairman on 0161 980-5464