Altrincham History Society
The Society and Its AimsWhat do you know about the history of your area?
Want to learn more?
Altrincham History Society exists to further the study of the Altrincham area and to enable such research to be communicated to the public.
Members enjoy a series of talks through the year, with occasional visits, and are encouraged to become active in researching topics related to the history of the area.
The Society publishes the results of research in booklets and a yearly journal. A full index of the Society's publications is available here in 'pdf' format.
Altrincham today is very much a modern town, with recent developments involving many changes but, beneath the streets and behind the buildings, there is a story to be told.
MembershipSubscriptions are £8p.a. or £15 to include a spouse or partner. Visitors are welcome, and are charged £2 per meeting.
To join, please complete the Membership Form (pdf)
The Society's Data Protection Policy may be viewed and downloaded here in MS Word format.
MeetingsAltrincham History Society meets monthly from September to May, on the second Tuesday of the month, starting at 7.30pm.
Meetings are held at Altrincham Town Hall, Market Street, Altrincham WA14 1PG (pictured below) in the Old Council Chamber, on the first floor (lift available). A map showing the location is below...
Programme for 2018-19All meetings are on Tuesday evenings, starting at 7.30pm.
- Tuesday, 11 September, 2018: Edward Watkin: King of Railways by Geoff Scargill.
- Tuesday, 9 October, 2018: Emmeline Pankhurst by Jean Bailo.
- Tuesday, 13 November, 2018: War Memorials by George Cogswell.
- Tuesday, 11 December, 2018: Christmas Buffet and Quiz.
- Tuesday, 8 January, 2019: New Roads in Altrincham by Hazel Pryor.
- Tuesday, 12 February, 2019: Annie Swynnerton, Manchester artist by Rebecca Milner.
- Tuesday, 12 March, 2019: Peterloo Massacre by Robert Poole.
- Tuesday, 9 April, 2019: Altrincham at Peace, 1918-1920 by Colin Graham.
- Tuesday, 14 May, 2019: AGM and Members' Research.
ContactIf you would like more information about the Society or its meetings, please contact:
- The Secretary on 0161 928-1583
- The Chairman on 0161 980-5464